Palau’s AG Office Files First Child Sexual Abuse Case Of The Year

A Palauan man is facing criminal charges in the Republic’s first child sexual abuse case of the New Year.

Fix K. Edwight is facing two counts of sexual assault of a 12-year local girl from Peleliu, price an outlying island state of Palau.  Defendant lived with the victim and her family.  In fact, and she was allegedly sexually assaulted in their home in Klouklubed, Peleliu on at least two separate occasions. According to documents filed with the Court, Edwight admitted to sexually assaulting the 12-year old victim on December 6, 2013.

Defendant Fix K. Edwight pled not guilty on Jan. 22, 2014.
Defendant Fix K. Edwight pled not guilty on Jan. 22, 2014.

Edwight entered a not guilty plea to all charges against him and posted a $8,000 surety bond. He is represented by the public defender’s office.
As part of his bond, he was ordered not to reside at the family home where the sexual assaults reportedly took place, surrender his passport and have no contact with the victim. He was however allowed to return to the family home once to retrieve his personal belongings while the victim was not there.
In an interview with Police Officer Billy Rekemel, Edwight confessed to luring the young victim into the indoor shower of the family home where he had her sit on his lap. He then sexually assaulted her. At some point, the defendant offered the victim money when she ordered him to stop. The victim managed to run away and report the incident to her parents.
The victim told police officers that Edwight assaulted her on at least one other occasion. In September 2013, the victim recalled Edwight sleeping closely to her and at one point he assaulted her. He confessed to Officer Rekemel that reason for his action was that he was “horny”.
Each child sexual abuse charge is a felony with fines between $5,000 to $50,000 and jail sentence up to 25 years or both.
Edwight is due back in court before Associate Justice R. Ashby Pate on February 19, 2014.  The case is being prosecuted by Assistant Attorney General Edward Brossette.