By Rolynda Jonathan
Palau’s Attorney General’s Office has moved to dismiss the case of the Republic of Palau vs. Reggie Remoket, thumb a stabbing murder case that gripped the nation in early 2012.
The case was dismissed in order to conduct further investigation that could not be completed before the February 4, 2013 trial date says the Attorney General’s office.
In the meantime, Reggie Remoket, the defendant in this case will be released from jail pending the outcome of the investigation. The investigation will include the completion of FBI forensic testing and supplemental witness interviews.
Remoket was charged with murder in the second degree, manslaughter and aggravated assault for the stabbing murder of Japanese Chef Norikazu Kobayashi early last year. He was placed in custody on a $25,000 cash bond or $50,000 secured bond.
The AG’s office says a dismissal without prejudice gives the Republic the opportunity to re-file the case once the investigation is complete.